Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Baffin in the rain...



A rainy day learning Baffin Bay yesterday, of course, you have to "fish the conditions"! Fishing the famous rocks of Baffin is a little tougher than it sounds, especially for a Baffin beginner like me.

Capt. Aubrey Black, the best guide in Baffin, has gratiously agreed to lend me some knowledge and I am doing my best to absorb all I can, in my spare time away from Rockport.

Learning Baffin Bay is an interesting sideline for me. I realized that, ten years into my professional fishing career, that's there's more to life than poling the Lighthouse Lakes or the back lakes of San Jose Island.

Finding new, unspoiled, unfished, clear, shallow shorelines has been a quest of mine this year. I found those in Baffin Bay.

Since I'm a closet wade fisherman, learning how to fish those deeper rocks has been an interesting addition to my quest for new water. It's all about structure, but I think I'm a little too short for Baffin. I'm thinking about writing a song about it, "Too Short for Baffin"... I'll let you know!

After the first dove cast and blast, I realized that I need more time on the water down there to be competent, so I have been spending some spare time there to get a little more acclimated. It's been paying off, I feel a little better about my navigation skills there.

Fishing the Nine Mile Hole, the South Shoreline of Baffin, the Land Cut, and the Meadows, just to name a few places has been a real eye opener for me. No one runs a shoreline in Baffin. Consequently, these fish are laying around in the shallow water, ready for a fly to come there way. And when it does, they jump on it like their last meal! My kind of shallow water fishin'!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment